Practice Statement of Intent
Referral management – Use of the NHS Number
The practice includes the patient’s NHS number in all NHS clinical correspondence issued by the practice whether in electronic form or otherwise, except in exceptional circumstances where the number cannot be ascertained. The use of the verified NHS number ensures patients can be correctly identified and supports safe, high-quality care.
Electronic Appointment Booking
Patients are able to book, view, amend, cancel and print appointments online via the practice web-site https://www.harstonsurgery.co.uk Registration is required for this service – please speak to a receptionist, call 01223 870250.
Online Requests for Repeat Prescriptions
Patients who are registered for the service can order, view and print a list of their repeat prescriptions for drugs, medicines or appliances online via the practice web-site https://www.harstonsurgery.co.uk If you are not currently registered for this service and would like to be, please speak to a receptionist, call 01223 870250 for more information on how to register.
Patient Access to Their GP Record
Patients are now able to view online, export or print summary information from their record relating to medication, allergies and adverse reactions. This is available via the practice web-site, registration is required, once again you can call reception on 01223 870250.
If you are already registered for online services then you will automatically get access to this additional information. This summary information is known as your Summary Care Record.
Summary Care Records
It is important that your medical record is available when and where you need it.
You may feel, especially if you have an extensive medical history, that it is very important for essential medical information to be available when you are on holiday away from the practice area and if you are taken ill and require hospital admission. Having your Summary Care Record (SCR) available will help anyone treating you. They will have access to information about any medication you may be taking and any drugs that you have a recorded allergy or sensitivity to.
Your SCR is automatically updated on a daily basis to ensure that your information is as up to date as it can possibly be.
If you do not want your medical records to be available in this way then you will need to let us know so that we can update your record, please call 01223 870250 and let the receptionist know that you wish to opt out of SCR.
Your medical records when leaving the practice and when registering with a new practice.
It is very important that you are registered with a doctor near to where you live. We encourage patients to do this as soon as possible if they move out of the practice area. Once you have re-registered with a new GP, your medical records will be forwarded on to them via NHS England.
If you move to a GP surgery that uses electronic medical records then your patient records will be available to them shortly after registering you at the practice. This is called GP2GP.
The Practice uses GP2GP software on its clinical system. This enables patient records to be safely and quickly transferred electronically from one practice to the next as a patient leaves and re-registers elsewhere. This ensures continuity in the medical record and makes information available to the new GP practice much faster.
Aims and Objectives of Harston
- At Harston Surgery we aim to provide our patients with the best quality care available. Our aims and objectives is a statement of what you can expect from the practice and what we feel we can expect from you in return
- You will always be offered the treatment we believe is appropriate for you, by a suitably qualified person.
- We will provide Information about our services in our practice leaflet and through our staff and website.
- We will make every effort to see you promptly. Medical emergencies will receive immediate attention and there will be a duty doctor available each day for urgent problems.
- We will offer you an appointment with a doctor within two working days whenever possible. If your own doctor is not available, we will arrange for you to see another doctor. You will be seen by a doctor on the same day if this is appropriate, although we cannot guarantee you will be seen by your own doctor.
- Emergency cover will be available at all times outside normal surgery opening hours by telephoning 01223 870250
- We will tell you and provide you with an information slip when the results of tests and X-rays are likely to be available and how you can obtain them.
- We will respect your rights of confidentiality and access to your medical records, within the law.
- We will try to deal in a timely manner any problems or complaints which you bring to our attention and welcome your suggestions for improving our service to you.
- The practice provides assisted wheelchair access. The practice has adequate toilet facilities for patients and disabled access to the surgery, consulting rooms and toilets.
We endeavour to treat all our patients with dignity, respect and honesty. Everyone at Harston Surgery is committed to deliver an excellent service. We ask all patients to offer the same commitment in return.
Statement of purpose
Health and Social Care Act 2008
To deliver the highest level of medical care to the population of Harston and surrounding villages, in modern premises; deliver health care in a flexible and innovative way to meet patient choice and to reflect changing political and economic circumstances.
To provide a rewarding place to work in a supportive team and a healthy work / life balance for those who work at Harston Surgery.